Nebraska’s spring season is among the longest around. Archery opens March 25, shotgun opens April 16 and the season doesn’t close until May 31. A person may have up to three spring turkey permits and take one male or bearded female turkey per permit. Hunting hours are 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset. Prior to turkey hunting, make sure you understand all of the hunting laws and regulations in the state of Nebraska. To purchase a permit for turkey hunting in Nebraska, click here.
2022 Turkey Hunting Dates In Nebraska
Youth Archery: March 25 - May 31, 2022
Archery: March 25 - May 31, 2022
Youth Shotgun: April 9 - May 31, 2022
Shotgun: April 16 - May 31, 2022
Turkey Hunting Laws And Regulations In Nebraska
Legal Hunting Methods:
- Shotgun Season – Hunters must use a shotgun with shells that contain shot size 2 or smaller.
- Archery Season – Hunters must use archery equipment (long bow, recurve bow, compound bow, crossbow or hand-thrown spear) with arrows or spears that have a sharpened hunting head with a blade of at least 7/16-inch radius, or a blunt (bludgeon) head with a diameter of at least 9/16-inch.
- Any resident age 16 or older and all nonresidents who hunt turkey in Nebraska must have a valid Nebraska Habitat Stamp, except that landowner permit holders do not need a habitat stamp. Only one stamp is needed for all hunting of any species in a calendar year. Residents who hold a veteran or senior permit do not need to purchase a habitat stamp to hunt turkeys. They must carry their veteran permit or a senior permit while hunting.
Apprentice Hunter Education Exemption Certificate
- An Apprentice Hunter Education Certificate provides a novice between the ages of 12 and 29 an opportunity to try hunting and receive help from an experienced hunter before completing Hunter Education. A hunter using this certificate must be accompanied at all times while hunting by a licensed adult age 19 or older. This certificate may be purchased twice – in consecutive years – in a person’s lifetime for $5 each time. It expires on Dec. 31. Applicable hunt permits are required.
- Hunters age 12 through 29 must have completed firearm hunter education when hunting with a firearm or air gun. Bow hunter education is not required for bow and arrow hunting of turkeys
The following turkey hunters must be accompanied:
- Those under age 12.
- Those using an Apprentice Hunter Education Exemption Certificate.
The accompanying person must:
- Be a licensed “experienced” hunter age 19 or older.
- Be certified in hunter education if he or she is between the ages of 19 and 29.
- Not accompany more than two holders of an exemption certificate at one time.
- Be at all times in unaided visual and verbal communication with the hunter/hunters he or she is accompanying.
Archery Country sells everything you need for turkey season! Check out our selection of turkey calls, ground blinds, hunting clothes, and turkey decoys. Click here to learn all about bowhunting turkeys on our podcast!