In order to hunt turkey in the state of Mississippi, individuals must have a Mississippi hunting license, turkey tag and harvest record. To apply for a license or residential turkey tag, click here. In order to apply for a 2022 Non-Resident Public Land Turkey Drawing Application, click here.
2022 SPRING TURKEY HUNTING SEASON DATES
- Youth (Private and authorized state and federal public lands; youth 15 and under.): March 8 - 14
- Spring (Nonresidents subject to special regulations, see below): March 15 - May 1
2022 SPRING TURKEY HUNTING BAG LIMITS
- Hunters 15 years of age and younger may harvest 1 gobbler of choice (any age) per day, 3 per spring season.
- One (1) adult gobbler or 1 gobbler with a 6-inch or longer beard per day, 3 per Spring season.
2022 SPRING TURKEY REGULATIONS
- Legal shooting hours for resident game are one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise to one-half (1/2) hour after sunset.
Weapons and Loads:
- The hunting of turkeys during the spring gobbler season is restricted to shotguns with shot no larger than No. 2 and compound, recurve, crossbow, and long bows. However, any quadriplegic may hunt turkey with a rifle.
- Running of dogs during spring turkey season is allowed only by the exceptions designated in MDWFP Rule 5.3
Private Land Hunting
- Landowner permission is required to hunt, fish, or trap on private lands. MDWFP Wildlife Management Areas are subject to special seasons and regulations which may vary from statewide seasons and regulations. Contact the MDWFP or area personnel for more information about these areas.
It is important to read and understand all laws and regulations prior to hunting. For more information on laws and regulations in the state of Mississippi, click here.
Click here to learn all about bowhunting turkeys on our podcast!